Software Engineer (Backend)
As a Software Engineer (Backend) in our Shanghai office, you leverage your T-shaped
technical expertise to deliver high-quality experiences for our players in China.
You’ll focus first on one of these critical initiatives:
- Launch critical new products + experiences in China
- Improve operational visibility
1. Technical expert: Broad theoretical knowledge + practical application of Software
Engineering principles to global-scale distributed systems. You’ve spent 7+ years tackling
serious engineering challenges, both as a developer and as an operator of mission-critical
2. Experienced technical leader: You have 5+ years of experience as a Technical Leader, with
a mature approach to setting the technical vision for your team. You understand that
high-quality engineering isn’t just about having the perfect architecture or fastest algorithm -
it also requires a maintainable code base, an effective technical decision-making process,
and ownership over how your code is deployed and performs in Production.
3. Adaptable: You quickly adapt to new challenges , even if it’s outside of your expertise. You
thrive in startup environments, are familiar wearing multiple hats, and have a track record of
learning new skills across a wide range of domains + disciplines.
4. Clear communicator: You drive clarity in communication , by being concise and articulate.
You listen well, you build strong relationships with stakeholders, and bring visibility to
technical decisions made on your team to the broader company. You’re fluent in Chinese
and English, and can drive effective collaboration with Chinese-speaking engineers.
5. Strong decision-maker: You have a rigorous framework for making decisions in ambiguity.
You make trade offs explicit , when balancing the long-term strategies and short-term tactics.
You know when to call for help.
1. Set the technical direction + standards for your team (Craft Leadership).
2. Lead and contribute to technical design + implementation (Programming).
3. Use your broad knowledge to guide tough technical decision-making (Product Sense).
4. Own your team’s process for delivering code to players.
5. Be accountable for the quality and maintainability of your team’s codebase.
6. Have a deep hands-on understanding of your team’s codebases.
7. Drive collaboration + alignment inside and outside your team.
8. Consistently lift the expertise and skills of people around you.