Full Time Perm Role as a Claims Executive
Full time, perm, CP team place in excess of 125+ M&A policies every year. These consist of a suite of specialist
insurance products, including: warranty and indemnity, tax risk and contingent risk.
The vast majority of policies are first party insurances – allowing the buyer to claim directly against the insurer
for the damages arising from a policy trigger (typically a breach of warranty or matter giving rise to a claim
under the tax covenant). Although a first party insurance, the underlying matter giving rise to a claim under
the policy is often a third party claimant (i.e. customer of the target company or tax authority).
The claims processes are often complex, fast moving and require an understanding of the underlying subject
matter – this involves liaising with the corporate, tax and industry specialists on our team.
Key Responsibilities / Accountabilities
With access to, and support from, the M&A team’s extensive skill set and wide client base, the expectation
will be to:
1. undertake regular reviews of policy wordings to ensure policy terms (which are highly bespoke), are as
policyholder friendly – avoiding litigation in event of a claim
2. assume ownership of all M&A insurance claims, taking control and direction of the process
3. analyse underlying transaction documents (including share purchase agreement and due diligence
reports) to understand subject matter of claim and draft claims notification to insurers* – liaising with
client’s advisers and negotiating firmly with insurers to secure positive outcomes
4. analysing quantum of any loss by reference to valuation method - working with legal and financial
adviser to build case with insurers
5. participate in client meetings to explain our claims experience and approach
*given the bespoke nature of the policies and complex risks covered, this process requires intellectual rigour
and technical expertise. Each deal and claim is unique and an ability to think ‘outside of the box’ is key.
Skills and abilities needed to perform role
A determination and appetite to assume ownership of claims
Articulate and personable
Pro-active with a ‘can do’ attitudeClaims Executive