Experienced Claims Executive
Team place in excess of 125+ M&A policies every year. These consist of a suite of specialist insurance products, including: warranty and indemnity, tax risk and contingent risk. .
The vast majority of policies are first party insurances – allowing the buyer to claim directly against the insurer for the damages arising from a policy trigger (typically a breach of warranty or matter giving rise to a claim under the tax covenant). Although a first party insurance, the underlying matter giving rise to a claim under the policy is often a third party claimant (i.e. customer of the target company or tax authority). The claims processes are often complex, fast moving and require an understanding of the underlying subject matter – this involves liaising with the corporate, tax and industry specialists on our team.
Key Responsibilities / Accountabilities
With access to, and support from, the M&A team’s extensive skill set and wide client base, the expectation will be to:
1. undertake regular reviews of policy wordings to ensure policy terms (which are highly bespoke), are as policyholder friendly – avoiding litigation in event of a claim
2. assume ownership of all M&A insurance claims, taking control and direction of the process
3. analyse underlying transaction documents (including share purchase agreement and due diligence reports) to understand subject matter of claim and draft claims notification to insurers* – liaising with client’s advisers and negotiating firmly with insurers to secure positive outcomes
4. analysing quantum of any loss by reference to valuation method - working with legal and financial adviser to build case with insurers
5. participate in client meetings to explain our claims experience and approach *given the bespoke nature of the policies and complex risks covered, this process requires intellectual rigour and technical expertise. Each deal and claim is unique and an ability to think ‘outside of the box’ is key.
- A determination and appetite to assume ownership of claims
- Articulate and personable
- Pro-active with a ‘can do’ attitude